Thursday, August 28, 2014

Artist Books

I have been enjoying time in the studio this summer and as a result I have finished a project I started earlier this year - a new artist book!  With the advent of new technologies such as the internet and so-called smart phones, I have noticed that much of my social life is mediated through a 2 by 3 inch screen.  

My recent artist book is called: Some Men I Know - and it is a series of ten profiles created full-scale (to size of an iPhone screen) using traditional techniques of drypoint and spit-bite etch.  By using the screen capture function, I save the profile pic of my guy-pals and then begin scratching their likeness into a metal plate.  The result is a tiny print on Japanese Washi tissue that is also laminated onto BFK cotton paper (chine colle).

Now the exciting part - I have two of my artist books; Some Men I Know and Masc-U-Line included in an international exhibition of handmade books at the Redland Museum in Queensland, Australia!  The exhibition, Personal Histories, will open Oct. 12, 2014.
Timothy Laurin - Some Men I Know - Artist book of 10 prints - Edition of 3 - 2014

I'm pretty thrilled to be a part of this…..


1 comment:

  1. ...... and we're pretty thrilled to have you participate Tim :)

    ReplyDelete